Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Celebrating 50 years of Barbershop Harmony with Dad

Hi all - it's been a while again, oh well...

Today I'm celebrating with my dad who received his 50 year membership pin from the Barbershop Harmony Society.  It's because of Dad that I began singing barbershop harmony back when I was 16 years old.  His then chorus director, Hank Aronson, was my high school choir director.  I have many fond memories of going to his shows and chorus gigs out in the community (like the Holmen WI Corn Fest).

Here he is back in 1963 - he had bright red hair then, not that you can tell from the old black and white photos from those days!  He sang with the Coulee Chordsmen of LaCrosse WI at that time.  And then a photo from today, with my mom and our friend Doug who presented the 50 year pin (Mom pinned it on).

 Dad getting pinned
 
We had lunch at the Covered Bridge, a bar/restaurant halfway between my house and the parents' house.  Doug's wife Connie, a dear friend with whom I sing in the City of Lakes Chorus and who directed my first Sweet Adelines' chorus in Eau Claire WI rounded out our party.  She brought a lovely bouquet for mom for supporting dad all these years!

 
me dad mom doug connie

Yesterday my sister Tami was visiting me; she couldn't make it to lunch today but we each made a card for Dad.  Here's my card:

Happy 50
I used my Silhouette to cut a barberpole, some musical notes, and the 50.  The barberpole is part of a file Design ID #43667 by PPbN Designs called "haircut barbershop set" and the notes came from Snapdragon Snippets Design ID #37681 called "music notes".

Here's Tami's card:
Celebrate by Tami
We both used a Hero Arts Azure cardbase, a David Tutera red mat, & musical note paper from Authentique.  Tami used banner stamps by Technique Tuesday called Banner Up and some Doodlebug twine.

Thanks for visiting!  Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend!!

6 comments:

Barb said...

What a fun post, Linda! Love that photo of all of you!

I'll bet your dad loved both cards too - fab colors - your barber pole is so perfect! :)

Virginia L. said...

What a GREAT milestone for your Dad, Linda! This truly shows love and dedication! Thanks for sharing his photo! It is precious! Your card and Tami's are awesome for the celebratory occasion! Congratulation to your Dad! Happy Labor Day weekend!

Dawn T said...

what beautiful cards from the two of you. And a big congrats to your Dad for this wonderful achievement.

stampingandstitching said...

Linda, wonderful post! I loved seeing the brilliant cards you and Tami made for your dad to celebrate this special occasion - big congratulations to your dad! Great photos of you, your family and friends too - it looks and sounds like you had such a great time! Enjoy your lovely long weekend:)

CinnamonSally said...

Congratulations to your dad Linda, love your photos and I am sure he was thrilled with his card!!

Maureen Morton said...

What a great blog post -m love the photos and the smiles! The card is perfect, too.