Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

City of Lakes Chorus 8th in the Sweet Adeline World

Hi all - just returned home from Las Vegas where Sweet Adelines from all over the world gathered for our International competition and convention. I sing with the City of Lakes Chorus and we came in 8th this time. While we had hoped to improve our finish from the 6th in 2014, we learned a lot in the last two years and were delighted to be in the top ten in a contest full of exceptional choruses. The best choruses in each Region, plus some high scoring "wild cards" compete at the International level. After a semi-finals round, only the top ten go on to the finals. If you'd care to see our performances, go here for semi-finals and here for finals. In the finals, I'm the "Blue Leader" who has a speaking part so look for me at the mic! My friends Val and Ellen were the "Red Leader" and "Misty Middleground (in a Red/Blue combo) respectively. I enjoyed acting with them.

Our director works so hard that I wanted to wish him well as we headed into the contest. Here's the card I made him:

Good luck leaf

Supplies: Paper - Target dollar bin 6x6 pads; Hero Arts kraft card
Dies - Impression Obsession Good Luck; Simon Says Stamp Bundle of Stitched Shapes (rectangle); 
Hero Arts Paper Layering Maple Leaf DI302
Other - copper twine from Target dollar bin (thanks Betty!); May Arts string twine

Just love this fun leaf which I cut directly into the copper/kraft two sided paper and then folded over the kraft side. I backed the opening with plaid paper from another one of the dollar bin pads.

The Rönninge Show Chorus won the chorus contest. They were so amazing - see their finals set here. There was also a quartet contest. Those who know me may remember I sang in a quartet, Chord Company, that competed at the International contest 9 different years. We retired in 2010. The winning quartet this year was Frenzy. See their finals round here.

I don't often blog about my singing stuff so thanks for stopping!

4 comments:

Betty said...

i watched and watched and i think i found you in the chorus - are you on the right side sort of toward the back row?? - beautiful singing and loved seeing your performance - and the card is wonderful too!! thanks for sharing both!

Karen L K said...

A nice card! That sounds like a wonderful time in Vegas. I will take a listen to your choir. Thanks for sharing your musical side!

stampingandstitching said...

This is such a gorgeous card for your director - I'm sure he loved it! Love the combination of tartan, copper and kraft card in the beautiful leaf! Looking at your supply list - I miss our fun trips to Target!! I'm looking forward to watching the videos from Las Vegas, thanks for the links!

Karen L K said...

Thanks so much for sharing your music! That was fun to see and I did not know there was such big chorus groups that competed. Is there any thing about the size such as they have to have close to the same amount of members?