Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Friday, August 11, 2017

In Memory of a Queen Mum

Hi friends - I'm sharing a couple sympathy cards. We sent our friend and Queen Mum Lou off in style today. She passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago after a short illness. It was a sad, yet beautiful, day and we shared music and memories with Lou's family and the other attendees at her memorial. I made the card at left for Lou's (and my) friend Mary and the one at right for the family.

Pair of sympathy cards
Supplies: Paper - DCWV A2 pale blue cards, Graphic 45 patterned, Neenah Solar White
Dies - My Favorite Things Die-Namics Blueprints 20,
Hero Arts Infinity Nesting Postage Stamps, dies to match stamps
Stamps - CM124 Color Layering Fuchsia, S5449 Fabulous Flourish (retired)
Inks - Hero Arts Neon Pink & Fuchsia Layering Ink cubes 

Here's a photo of our two Queen Mums, Mary & Lou. Both are Sweet Adelines International Quartet Champions, aka Queens of Harmony (hence the crowns). At our annual conventions, the past champions host a show and I took the photo at the 2010 show.

Queen Mums Mary & Lou

Lou sang baritone (same part as I do) and her quartet Music Gallery was the 1982 champ. A recording of them singing "Amazing Grace" played during the service - such a perfect example of their amazing blend!! Mother Mary (don't know how she does it) sang a solo and Lou's daughter Kim sang a duet with her husband while he played guitar. Her tenor, lead, and bass singers were at the memorial and sang after the lunch with another gal filling in on baritone. Any Sweet Adelines (many City of Lakes Chorus past and present members) who knew it sang "Thank you Dear Lord for Music".

I thank Lou for her friendship & musical advice over the years. In the card to her family I recalled Lou coming up to me after my first show appearance with my former quartet Chord Company. In her no-nonsense way she let me know how I could be better in the quartet and I know our success had much to do with her input! RIP Lou - I'll miss you!!

3 comments:

Betty said...

beautiful cards LInda - i have tears in my eyes with the loss of your friend - and one of my scrabble friends lost her brother last nite - guess i'm feeling quite sad for you too.

Rosemary said...

what a beautiful set of sympathy cards, linda!! I especially like the one that has the fuchsias on it. it is gorgeous!!

Greta said...

Lovely cards, Linda & I know they mean a lot to Lou's family & to Mary. What a great picture to have of the 2 queens! Thinking of you at this sad time--always hard to loose a good friend.